Pre-Twinkle and Twinkle Classes
The Loma Linda Academy String Program offers two classes for beginning violinists:
The Pre-Twinkle class is a small-group lesson designed for children ages 3-5, along with their parents. This class is for children with no previous violin experience, and will introduce the basics of violin posture and bow hold as well as musical activities. Requires parent participation. Classes limited to 4 students each.
The Twinkle class (Dr. Sarah Dudas, instructor) is a group class designed for students who are starting private lessons, who have successfully completed the Pre-Twinkle class and/or meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled in weekly private lessons with a certified Suzuki teacher;
- Able to hold violin and bow, with help from parent;
- Have been listening to the Suzuki Violin School Book 1 recording for several months;
- Currently working on, or has been working on, playing basic rhythm patterns (from Twinkle variations) on open strings
The Twinkle class meets once weekly in addition to private lessons. Students will work on reinforcing posture, bow hold, and technique; playing on open strings and pre-Twinkle songs working up to Twinkle, and other musical activities.
String Company A
Sammy Young, instructor
The String Company A class (for violinists) is primarily a Book 1 class. Prerequisites for the class include:
- Current enrollment in private lessons with a certified Suzuki teacher;
- play position violin and bow without help from parent;
- able to play songs up through “Go, Tell Aunt Rhody” by memory, including previous songs.
String Company A activities may include:
- Developing basic ensemble skills through previously learned repertoire;
- Games and activities to develop concentration, following directions, and working together as a group;
- Games and activities to reinforce basic posture, play position, and bow hold;
- Basic music theory and note recognition.
Parent attendance is strongly recommended, as activities and techniques used in the class may be helpful ideas for home practice.
Information coming soon.
April Losey, instructor
Information coming soon.
Concert Strings Orchestra
Stephanie Kime Popa, director
The Loma Linda Academy Concert Orchestra is a string orchestra designed to provide students an opportunity to develop their music-reading and orchestral playing skills. Prerequisites include:
- Comfort level in shifting and sight-reading music in lower positions (first and third position for violins);
- Solid intonation and strong tone in two-octave major scales and arpeggios.
The Concert Orchestra performs in a variety of venues, including on campus, in area churches, and for outreach events. Academic credit is available for LLA high school students.
Dr. Lucy Lewis, director
The Loma Linda Academy Symphony Orchestra is a full symphonic orchestra designed to polish the advancing musician’s music-reading and orchestral playing skills. Prerequisites include:
- Comfort level in sight-reading music in lower and higher positions (third position and above in violins, particularly first violins as they tend to have higher notes) and in a variety of keys;
- Solid intonation and strong tone in three-octave major and minor scales and arpeggios;
- Comfort with skills such as vibrato and more advanced bowing techniques (spiccato, etc.).
The Symphony Orchestra performs in a variety of venues, including on campus, in area churches, and for outreach events. In addition, the Symphony often travels for national and international tours. Academic credit is available for LLA high school students.