We have certainly missed seeing our students in person this past quarter, and are looking forward to a better year next year. We’ve had a lot of disappointments this spring, including the unfortunate cancellation of our Italy tour, but we are working on planning options for the upcoming semester, whether distance learning or (hopefully) being together, at some point at least. But we hope that you will join us on this journey, and stay tuned for more updates on how we can soon enjoy making music together!
Our two orchestras, Concert Orchestra (intermediate) and Symphony Orchestra (advanced), will be accepting video auditions for the 2019-2020 school year.
LLASP Orchestra Audition Information
This year, auditions for the LLASP Orchestras will be open to video entries. Videos are due August 15, 2020.
Please prepare a video recording of the following:
- One scale and one arpeggio, two or three octaves, any key and variation you prefer, showing your best tone quality and intonation;
- Two pieces of your choice, of contrasting tempo/style, etc., no more than 5 minutes each.
- All video recordings must be of reasonable quality that displays your current level of performance. It may be from a recent (this year) performance or recorded in your home, etc. Professional recordings are not necessary and not recommended.The scale and repertoire performances may be recorded at different times but please combine them into one upload.
- Position the camera’s field-of-view so that both right and left arms are in clear view (i.e. no music stand blocking bow arm or fingerboard, keys, or embouchure).
- Performances may not be edited or spliced. Please use one continuous take only. Videos showing evidence of editing may be disqualified.
Please post your videos to YouTube for review. Send your link (one video link per person) to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15.
Download the audition form here (please attach to your email): audition form 20
Be sure that privacy settings are set to allow us to view your video.
Requirements for participation in LLA Orchestras
First, please consult with your private teacher regarding recommendation for participation in orchestra.
- The Loma Linda Academy Symphony rehearsals area Wednesdays from 4:30-6:30 PM.
- Concert Orchestra rehearsals are Wednesdays from 4:30-6:00 PM (note new time).
Placement in either orchestra will be determined at this audition.
Loma Linda Academy High School students will receive fine arts credit for both Concert and Symphony Orchestras, and are required to register for the class to participate. There is no fee for LLA students, regardless of grade. Non-LLA students will be required to register as “special enrollment” at LLA for a $175 for the year.
Please be advised that part of the class requirements for both Symphony and Concert Orchestras is that participation in every performance is mandatory.
Concert Orchestra Expectations:
- Comfort level in shifting and sight-reading music in lower positions (first and third position for violins)
- Solid intonation and strong tone in two-octave major scales and arpeggios
- Ability to work together with colleagues in a focused learning environment
- At least age 7 in fall 2020
- Generally, students are at least Suzuki book 3 level or equivalent
Symphony Orchestra Expectations:
- STRINGS: Comfort with shifting and sight-reading in both lower and higher positions (especially important for 1st violins as they frequently have notes in the higher positions). Generally, students are at least Suzuki book 5 level or equivalent
- STRINGS: Comfort with advanced bowing techniques such as spiccato, up-bow staccato, etc.
- STRINGS/WOODWINDS/BRASS: Comfort with vibrato
- WOODWINDS/BRASS: Comfort with various tongued patterns/articulations
- PERCUSSION: Comfort with keyboard, snare, and timpani
- EVERYONE: Solid intonation and strong tone in 2/3-octave major and minor scales and arpeggios
- At least age 12 in fall 2020