We have some exciting things planned for the upcoming school year in the Loma Linda Academy Orchestras! Most importantly is the Symphony’s international tour we are planning to Tuscany, Italy next June.
Our two orchestras, Concert Orchestra (intermediate) and Symphony Orchestra (advanced), will be holding auditions for the 2019-2020 school year soon, in case you’d like to plan in advance. There are two ways you can audition:
- Live auditions held August 11 and/or 12, 2019;
- Video auditions (information on how to submit video below)
LLASP Orchestra Audition Information
This year, auditions for the LLASP Orchestras will be open to video entries. Live auditions will also be held August 11/12 if you prefer to have a live audition. Videos are due August 10, 2019.
Please prepare a video recording of the following:
- One scale and one arpeggio, two or three octaves, any key and variation you prefer, showing your best tone quality and intonation;
- Two pieces of your choice, of contrasting tempo/style, etc., no more than 5 minutes each.
- Live auditions will have the same requirements.
- All video recordings must be of reasonable quality that displays your current level of performance. It may be from a recent (this year) performance or recorded in your home, etc. Professional recordings are not necessary and not recommended.The scale and repertoire performances may be recorded at different times but please combine them into one upload.
- Position the camera’s field-of-view so that both right and left arms are in clear view (i.e. no music stand blocking bow arm or fingerboard, keys, or embouchure).
- Performances may not be edited or spliced. Please use one continuous take only. Videos showing evidence of editing may be disqualified.
Be sure that privacy settings are set to allow us to view your video.
Requirements for participation in LLA Orchestras
First, please consult with your private teacher regarding recommendation for participation in orchestra.
String students who wish to join in Concert Orchestra and have participated in Musical Achievement Week in May do not have to audition; please contact Mrs. Popa for more information.
- The Loma Linda Academy Symphony rehearsals area Wednesdays from 4-6 PM.
- Concert Orchestra rehearsals are Wednesday evenings from 6-7:30 PM.
Placement in either orchestra will be determined at this audition.
Loma Linda Academy High School students will receive fine arts credit for both Concert and Symphony Orchestras, and are required to register for the class to participate. There is no fee for LLA students, regardless of grade. Non-LLA students will be required to register as “special enrollment” at LLA for a $175 for the year.
Please be advised that part of the class requirements for both Symphony and Concert Orchestras is that participation in every performance is mandatory. Participation on the tour is mandatory for Symphony Orchestra. During the 2019-2020 season, Symphony Orchestra tour will be an international tour to Italy in June.
Concert Orchestra Expectations:
- Comfort level in shifting and sight-reading music in lower positions (first and third position for violins)
- Solid intonation and strong tone in two-octave major scales and arpeggios
- Ability to work together with colleagues in a focused learning environment
- At least age 7 in fall 2019
Symphony Orchestra Expectations:
- STRINGS: Comfort with shifting and sight-reading in both lower and higher positions (especially important for 1st violins as they frequently have notes in the higher positions)
- STRINGS: Comfort with advanced bowing techniques such as spiccato, up-bow staccato, etc.
- STRINGS/WOODWINDS/BRASS: Comfort with vibrato
- WOODWINDS/BRASS: Comfort with various tongued patterns/articulations
- PERCUSSION: Comfort with keyboard, snare, and timpani
- EVERYONE: Solid intonation and strong tone in 2/3-octave major and minor scales and arpeggios
- At least age 12 in fall 2019